Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Mini Cooper anyone?

I had never done a 3D car cake before and when I was commissioned to do one, I was both excited and scared...scared that the cake would not resemble a mini cooper. To do a 3D cake that needs to be carved, I had to change my normal buttercake recipe to something that would result in a heavy and denser cake. This way, the cake would not crumble when its put under the knife :).

Armed with a sharp serrated knife and pictures of a mini cooper in different angle, I started my mission. Let me tell you, it was hard work trying to make sure the bumps were at the correct places and harder still to ensure that all the finer details such as the handles were properly molded.

I was quite worried at first after I carved the cake as I could not see the resemblance but after the fondant was placed on the cake together with the other details, the cake came to life bit by bit. It was such a joy when I finished decorating it ..... 6 hours later!. And I was all smile when my son exclaimed, "Mr Bean's car". Mission accomplished :).

No comments:

Post a Comment