Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My Kids Birthday

We celebrated both our daughter and son's birthday on 28th December 2008. Ayra turned 5 and Adam turned 2 yrs. For weeks I was cracking my heads on the design of the cakes for them, as they keep on changing the characters that they want. In the end I decided on a Barbie Mariposa cake and a Dibo the Gift Dragon since my daughter loves Barbie and my son loves Dibo. If any readers have not heard of Dibo, well, its a purple dragon that brings gifts to those who wish and airs on Disney channel everyday at 9am. Barbie Mariposa on the other hand was the latest Barbie series where Barbie's character was a Fairie, trying to save the Fairyland from destruction..or something like that..:)

I started baking on Saturday night and since the party was on Sunday at 4pm, I only started decorating the cakes in the morning. I had strict instruction to both my kids that no one was to disturb me so that I could finish the decoration in time to get ready for the party and the drive to McDonald where the party was being held.

I baked a chocolate moist cake topped with chocolate ganache with edible picture of Dibo and his friends for my son and an orange cake for the Barbie Mariposa. The inspiration to do the Barbie Mariposa cake came after seeing the work of a fellow blogger and cake decorator, Kak June of cupcakekasih http://sayasukacupcake.blogspot.com/.I really love her work and wish that someday I could be just like her. The drive to McDonald was also a challenge since the wings attached to the Barbie was huge and I had to hold the cake all the way to McDonald so that the Barbie doll stayed intact.

I really love how the cakes turned out. They were a hit and no leftovers for me to eat :( Here's the pictures. Hope you like them too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment